The purpose of this qualification is to allow new entrants access to the Primary Agricultural Sector with specific reference to Mixed Farming Systems. The contexualised purpose and usage of the qualification are as follows:
- A learner assessed against this qualification will have the necessary competence to participate as part of a working team, performing the agricultural processes as applicable to Plant production in a closely defined context and under close supervision.
- Competency will be gained in a combination of the sub-fields of Plant and Animal Production as specified under Areas Of Specialization (i.e. Small Stock, Large Stock as well as Vegetables, Fruit Production, Hydroponics, etc.)
- The learner will be able to take responsible decisions within a limited range based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of agri-business and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills, all in a Mixed Farming context.
- The Learner will be able to carry out repetitive procedures in a predictable environment and will be able to adhere to the relevant safety, quality, hygiene and technical standards as applicable within the industry.
- In addition to the above, the learner will be well-positioned to extend learning and practice into other sub-fields such as Plant Production and Animal Production, since such efforts will only require additional learning within the elective scope of other qualifications at this level.
- The learner will be well-positioned to progress towards higher levels of Management and Technical production practices as defined by qualifications at the next level.
- Learners will be enabled to actively participate in the Primary Agricultural Sector through the production of quality agricultural products, enhancing the overall agricultural process and gaining opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
- Finally, this qualification will allow qualifying learners to become economically active in farming practices that will have a direct impact on Local Economic Development through the production of food, the improvement of household food security and access to mainstream agriculture.